SPECIAL GUEST: ADAM VALASTRO
After sitting down and chatting with ultra-athlete and aspiring record breaker, Adam Valastro discussed with us the ten things that will help anyone overcome adversity in their lives.
- Developing a sense of self-awareness is integral to overcoming adversity.
- You must know who you are to get through the hard times.
- Surround yourself with people who make you a better person, who are not “yes men,” who will be truthful with you and put you in your place when you need to be.
- Don’t think or make long term decisions based on emotions or feelings.
- No matter what it is that you are doing, work harder than everyone else.
- When you give 100% in what you do, eventually you will see rewards.
CONSISTENCY AND PERSISTENCE
- Nothing fights against something that never stops.
- Be relentless.
- If you get knocked down 10 times, stand up 11.
- Make the choice every day to work hard.
- Chip away at goals. Benchmark. Many goals are “woodchippers.”
BE MENTALLY TOUGH
- Mind over matter. If you don’t mind – it doesn’t matter.
- It is easy to be great today because everyone is so weak.
- You’re only a victim when you allow yourself to be a victim.
- You have to be able to take the punches.
- It’s not how hard you hit. It’s how hard you can take a hit.
- Motivation is garbage. You must be disciplined.
- The only way to get through what is hard in life is to be disciplined and face what is hard head on.
- Motivation is kindling and it burns up fast. Discipline burns forever.
- Discipline is keeping a promise you have made to yourself.
HAVE A PURPOSE
- The two defining points of a person’s life are the moment they are born and the moment he figures out why.
- There is power in purpose.
QUIT MAKING EXCUSES
- Excuses are “re-prioritizing.”
- Don’t make excuses for yourself.
NEVER LET ANYBODY TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN’T DO SOMETHING.
- Get outside of societal norms.
- You make your own boundaries and put your own ceilings on your possibilities.
- Never let your objectives cause you to take advantage of others or derail your moral compass.
- Winning without integrity is not winning.
- Do the right thing when no one is looking.
CONTROL YOUR EMOTIONS
- To control your emotions, you must understand your emotions.
- Don’t make important decisions based on emotions.
- Your anger has everything to do with you and nothing to do with others. You are not angry at what they did to you, you are angry at how it made you feel.
BONUS (ADDED BY PATRICK)
CUT THEM OUT
- Remove negative influences in your life.
PUNCH THIS DAY IN THE FACE
- YOU HEARD ME. #punchthisdayintheface
SHOW SOME LOVE!
“INTRO MUSIC” by Sidewise
Song: This Time
Track; Sidewise – This Time
Music provided by FlyingTunes